Guidelines for the relationship between Contest Site Steering Committee and Contest Advisory Council.
As many of you are aware that some “Contest Advisory Councils” had been created
for many territories in Asia. The contest advisory council has been a very good way to
mentor the new contest director/coordinator, to assist the contest steering committee
and to expand the Asia contests to more new host universities.
Some of you will be receiving my proposal for chairing/coordinating such council in the coming year(s).
In the next couple years, I hope there will be a contest advisory council corresponding to
each contest site. Contest sites are more dynamic while contest councils are more
stable and good in helping others. If situation allows, I hope by 2014, contest hosts will be in rotation
within their respective territories and with the respective councils as their supporters/mentors for the entire Asia.
1. If you are the council chair/coordinator, you will be recommending the Asia regional
contest hosts and site directors/coordinators within your territory to Asia Director at least 1-2 year in
advance. You may recommend yourself to host the contest, but I hope the rotation of contest
hosts should be the norm. The council chairs/coordinators are also responsible to recommend the hosts for
national/provincial contests within its territory to Asia Director.
2. Each contest advisory council should hold at least one annual meeting within the territory.
3. The directors/coordinators of contest steering committee and the chairs/coordinators of
councils report to Asia Director directly. Each contest site with its associated steering
committee is semi-autonomous under ACM-ICPC guidelines and Asia Rules. Contest steering committee
and contest advisory council are sibling to each other and working together toward the ICPC goals in Asia.
4. The advisory council will provide guidance, assistance, and coordination to the contest steering
committee as a supporter or mentor, especially for the new contest sites. The advisory councils are not
above the contest sites and have no responsibility/authority in supervising or managing the contest site
5. Each new contest site is required to host the National/Provincial or Preliminary contests before the
hosting of Asia regionals.
6. Advisory council chairs/coordinators or representatives are also invited to WF with self-paid rooms,
and with breakfasts and event meals provided. It is recommended that the contest steering committee
may provide token seed money for hotel room for advisory council representative to WF, such seed money
support is not mandatory, but encouraged.
ACM-ICPC Asia Director
Professor C Jinshong Hwang
New posting for Asia blog will be in Sina blog
5 years ago